What is Explore Plano?
Explore Plano is the City of Plano’s exclusive checklist of the coolest things going on across Plano during Summer ‘17. At each stop, there will be a photo challenge that leads to the opportunity to win prizes. Explore Plano runs June 1-August 31. At the Explore Plano website, all of the challenges are listed out by month, and most of the challenges are completely free!
This Week’s Featured #ExplorePlano Challenge:
Sure, it might seem like a no-brainer, but learning to be a pro if you need to call emergency services can make a big difference in getting police, firemen and dispatchers the info they need to respond quickly and efficiently.
The City of Plano’s emergency operators encourage kids and adults alike to learn what to do in an emergency by downloading the free DialSafe Pro app (iTunes Store) or Emergency Practice Call app (Google Play). Roleplaying an emergency situation may seem unnecessary, but having a clear head and learning which information is important for operators will make it easier for them to do their jobs.
If you can’t download the apps on a smartphone, try using props at home to practice for emergencies. Since 80% of emergency calls are from cell phones, which don’t give an exact location, one of the most important pieces of information for the operators is the address of the incident.
Here are a few scenarios where it pays to be prepared:
“Hi, Operator, I’m John. I’m six years old. My brother Pepe just lost a dare and swallowed a pinecone. Help! My address is ______. My phone number is _____. “
“Hi, Operator, I’m Tasha Elaine Isabella Peppercorn, Jr. There’s a strange woman in our front yard wielding a barbecue fork and stealing our potted ferns. My address is _____. My phone number is ____.”
“Hi, Operator, my name is Jeff. I live on ______ and my phone number is ______. My best friend just tried to make an entire box of Pop Tarts at one time and now the microwave is on fire. Help?”
Part of having an awesome Summer ‘17 means knowing what to do if things turn not-so-fun in the sun.
How to Win Cool Stuff:
- Take a pic of yourself or your kiddo simulating a 9-1-1 call. Feel free to have fun! Use a banana, a shoe, a yet-to-be-devoured ear of corn, you get the idea. Post to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter
- Be sure to use the hashtag #ExplorePlano
- The City of Plano will draw a winner (almost) every week, based on who uses the hashtag
- Winners will receive a mystery prize pack (which may include any of the following: theater tickets, pool passes, recreation center passes, gift cards and more!)
Did You Know?
- The City of Plano employs 44 emergency phone operators.
- The Plano 9-1-1 call center receives an average of 165,710 calls per year on the emergency line.
- Operators receive around 150 accidental calls per day. Look out for those pocket-dials!
Introducing the Operator:
Georjon Jones has been a 9-1-1 call operator with the City of Plano for 20 years. Her favorite part of her job is helping to catch the bad guys and keeping her community safe.Explore Plano 2017 Challenges >
The above post is sponsored content.