What is Explore Plano?
Explore Plano is the City of Plano’s exclusive checklist of the coolest things going on across Plano during Summer ‘17. At each stop, there will be a photo challenge that leads to the opportunity to win prizes. Explore Plano runs June 1-August 31. At the Explore Plano website, all of the challenges are listed out by month, and most of the challenges are completely free!
This Week’s #ExplorePlano Challenge:
One of the key factors that goes into making a community safe and enjoyable is the relationship between its citizens and law enforcement. Fortunately, in Plano there is an ongoing dialogue between the police and the people. For this week’s #ExplorePlano featured challenge, the City of Plano encourages you to get to know the Plano PD.
The main way that the Plano Police Department engages with Planoites of all ages is through a wide range of classes and programs. The Crime Prevention Unit works with students in Plano schools on programs like Personal Safety, Drug Awareness and Cyber Security. Adults are invited to join seminars on Burglary, Active Shooter Safety, Baby-Sitting Safety, Dating/Relationship Safety, Domestic and Workplace Violence and more.
For those seeking a more interactive way to cooperate, Plano PD has also created a Citizens Police Academy. Students meet once a week for 12 weeks and have the opportunity to learn about police work in Plano. Oh, and they get to drive a Plano PD squad car in a timed driving competition (yes, really).
This week, the Plano PD invites you to stop by the Plano Police Station in downtown Plano, request a Plano Police badge sticker and snap a selfie with one of our local officers. You can also get a shot of the statue of the police officer and the child outside the station.
How To Win Cool Stuff:
- Take a pic of yourself sporting a Plano Police badge sticker alongside one of Plano’s finest, and post to Instagram, Facebook or Twitter
- Be sure to use the hashtag #ExplorePlano
- The City of Plano will draw a winner (almost) every week, based on who uses the hashtag
- Winners will receive a mystery prize pack (which may include any of the following: theatre tickets, pool passes, recreation center passes, gift cards and more!)
Did You Know?
- There are 387 Plano Police Officers – 53 women and 334 men.
- To apply for the Citizens Police Academy, you need to be 18, have a driver’s license and clear a background check.
- Plano PD is happy to send a police officer out to your home to do a security assessment.
Dominika Holdys is Plano Police Department’s newest Public Safety Officer assigned to the Crime Prevention Unit. Dominika was born in Germany and has earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in Law Enforcement. Dominika will be responsible for various programs such as Vacation Safety School, safety education in our elementary schools, and Cub Scout Saturday.Explore Plano 2017 Challenges > Plano Police Department >
The above post is sponsored content.