Treat your pup with a visit to Plano’s Dog Park @ Jack Carter Park. Originally opened in 2002, it was recently renovated and re-opened in late November 2014. It’s the only dog park in Plano, operated and maintained by Plano Parks and Recreation department.
Even if you’re not the outdoorsy type, your canine friend is. Unwind after work with some serious frisbee throwing. Or just relax and watch your pooch get ridiculously excited to have new puppy pals. Might as well bring the whole family. At the adjacent Jack Carter Park, there’s plenty of room to walk, run, ride a bike, fly a kite, you get the idea. Another bonus for the humans who visit: everyone we’ve encountered at the dog park is nice. Seriously. Happy dogs = happy owners.
Here are the details on your pooch’s favorite new place:
- The park spans approximately two acres, split into two separate play areas: one for big dogs, and one for dogs who just think they are big (30 pounds and less).
- Entrances and exits have been redesigned with double gates.
- Shade structures with bench seating are located in both play areas.
- Crushed granite walking trails encourage the humans to exercise as well.
- Drinking fountains and dog rinse stations are provided (but turned off during winter months, so you may need to bring your own water).
- Not sure if it’s just a happy accident, but on every visit, we’ve spotted dozens of tennis balls throughout the park, just waiting to be slobbered on.
- An irrigation system and new turf has been installed.
- LED lighting has been added for better evening visibility.
The Dog Park @ Jack Carter Park is located at 2601 Pleasant Valley Drive in Plano, TX. The parking lot is located roughly half a mile past the intersection of Pleasant Valley Drive & Spring Creek Parkway.
Dog park hours are sunrise to 9:30pm every day, except Thursdays, when the park is open from 4pm to 9:30pm. It’s closed anytime it’s raining, and sometimes for a few days afterward until the ground dries out.
It’s a good idea to call ahead to check on conditions before you head that way: 972-941-BARKDog Park @ Jack Carter Park Website >