“I’m bored, I’m bored!” It’ll only be two weeks into summer when you start hearing these laments from your children. But we’ve got a little something fun for them. The City of Plano kicks off its second annual #ExplorePlano summer program on June 1. The program is a series of fun-filled challenges that give citizens a way to get to know their city a little better – a scavenger hunt of sorts.
The Explore Plano challenges highlight a range of city departments including Plano Stages, police, fire-rescue and the library. The challenges offer something for everyone: learning about safety, history, music, art, wildlife and much more.
“We wanted to launch Explore Plano for a number of reasons,” said Todd Rice, senior marketing specialist for the City of Plano. “Plano is home to over 277,000 citizens with new families moving in each week. We feel this is a great opportunity to acquaint long-time and new residents with their city while offering exciting ways to do it. It’s a great excuse for families to get out of the house and have some fun while learning something new about Plano this summer.”
Perhaps the best part, Plano citizens have the chance to win prizes (from Go Ape, Plano Super Bowl, Plano Children’s Theatre and more) just by sharing photos taken on their challenge with the hashtag #ExplorePlano. The City will choose their favorite photos throughout the summer as winners.
Things to know:
- Explore Plano runs June 1-August 31
- Challenges are broken up by month on the Explore Plano website, but can be completed in any order
- Most of the challenges are completely free and appropriate for any age
- You can keep up with the challenges you’ve completed on this adorable printable map of our city
- Don’t forget to share your photos with #ExplorePlano