July is Parks and Recreation Month, a special time to celebrate all the ways parks and recreation centers can transform our daily lives. It’s a great opportunity to discover the power of play. Plano’s Parks and Recreation department is celebrating by offering variety of fun, free or affordable activities for people of all ages and abilities, including kayaking, family night hikes, geocaching and more. Game on!
Plano is the top-ranked City in Texas and number 15 in the U.S. in this year’s Trust for Public Land’s ParkScore Index. “From providing places to play, get fit and stay healthy to fostering new relationships and forging a connection with nature, Plano’s close-to-home parks and recreation facilities provide essential services that improve the overall quality of life,” said Plano Parks and Recreation Director Robin Reeves.
Residents are encouraged to share their photos on Facebook Twitter and Instagram by using #PlayInPlano and #GameOnJuly. Here are just a few ways to join the celebration during July:
- Cut a rug – Tuesday Night Dances at the Sam Johnson Recreation Center for Adults 50+
- Sprawl out on a blanket at the All-American Fourth Fireworks Celebration (free)
- Introduce your kids to classic outdoor games every Tuesday with Play in the Park (free)
- Rent a kayak and explore the lake at Oak Point Park & Nature Preserve
- Learn about the many volunteering opportunities with Volunteer in Plano (free)
- Check out the Downtown Music Series at McCall Plaza (free)
- Take in a game at the USA Softball Gold National Championship July 28-Aug. 3
“Our goal is to ensure that the lives of all residents in Plano are touched in some way by the services we provide, whether it’s taking a class at our recreation centers, taking the family to one of our pools, or exploring the beauty of Plano’s parks and nature preserves,” said Reeves. There truly is something for everyone.”
This information was provided as a press release.