In 2011 when a group of neighbors in The Colony, Texas learned that food scarcity was a reality for several families in their community, they were motivated to make a change. A local elementary school counselor had explained to them that during school holidays, several students were forced to go without meals due to their dependence on the free-lunch program offered at school.
With a desire to provide for these children, Lovepacs began when this group sought to demonstrate the joy of serving one another out of love with the goal of addressing the food insecurity issue of children in their own community. Nearly 200 children were fed through Lovepacs that first year.
Since 2011 over two million meals have been served to hungry children and their families. In 2018, Lovepacs has served over 5,700 children in over 139 schools in Texas.
Lovepacs partners with school counselors to identify the number of kids in their school at risk of food insecurity (while protecting the students’ personal identities). Then Lovepacs relies on a mighty force of volunteers and donors to fill boxes with nonperishable food – two meals plus snacks, or enough for any school break – to be delivered to the schools for each child.
“Lovepacs has opened my daughters’ eyes to the need around them,” said Angel Royal, longtime Lovepacs volunteer. “When we first started talking about kids not having enough to eat, my second grader noticed a new kid in her class who had staples and duct tape holding his shoes together. She hadn’t paid attention to things like this before, and Lovepacs gave us an opportunity to teach her that compassion isn’t just feeling bad for someone – it involves taking action to help.”
Lovepacs Plano is asking for your help with:
- Monetary donations; Donate here.
- Food donations; Suggested items include canned corn, canned green beans, canned mixed vegetables, canned fruit, jar of peanut butter, jar of jelly, granola bars, packets of oatmeal and applesauce cups, which can be donated at the following locations:
- Aqua~Fit Swim & Fitness Family Wellness Center: 1400 Summit Avenue D2, Plano, Texas 75074
- B & B Furniture Consignment: 3100 Independence, Plano, Texas 75075
- Corporate sponsorships, donated warehouse storage space; donated event rental space; Contact Mimi Conner at 214-202-9421 or