From preschool to professional, Plano Public Library (PPL) has something for everyone. Not interested in reading? No biggie – PPL is #morethanbooks! Check out some of their upcoming events – in-person and virtual – for all your educating and entertaining needs:
1. Attend storytime and STEAM programs in-person (all ages, some events are ticketed)
Beginning June 8, Plano Public Library is reintroducing in-person programs beginning with storytime and STEAM family programs at four locations (Davis Library remains under construction):
- Eight-plus storytime sessions weekly covering a variety of age ranges and early literacy skills. Storytime does not require tickets.
- STEAM programs meeting Monday-Friday are ticketed events; tickets are available in-person 30 minutes prior to each event. PPL is offering the programs twice in the same day at the same location (10 am and 3 pm) for each event. STEAM programs on the weekends are come and go, no tickets required.
2. Learn how to design a video game (teens and adults, registration required)
Through a four-day workshop, you will dive deep into the industry standard Framework of Unity to learn how to make your very own 2D Mario Style video game. You will begin by learning how to take ideas for a game and put it to paper, like character design; get the basics down of the Unity software, like bringing your characters to life; build your world your character(s) will run in; and add finishing touches with music and sounds. Coding Camp: Design a Video Game Using Unity meets Monday through Thursday, June 7 – 10 at 1 p.m. Register once for all four Zoom sessions.
3. Take STEAM Connections kit to learn at home (all ages)
Ten times this summer, you can pick up a STEAM Connections: Take It & Make It Kit at any PPL location and explore a science, technology, engineering, art and/or math topic through a hands-on project. Wondering about water filtration? Do owls poop? Baffled by bacteria? We have a kit for you! Kits are available weekly on Wednesdays (while supplies last), and videos with instruction and additional learning opportunities will go up on the Plano Library Learns blog on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
4. Explore Mars with NASA (all ages, registration required)
NASA Solar System Ambassador Les Murray joins PPL once again on Zoom to talk all things Mars. On Monday, June 14 at 3 p.m., Murray will share about the recent Perseverance landing, and what NASA hopes to gain from this exploratory mission. You will learn about temperature, gravity, and atmosphere on Mars, too.
5. Get financial guidance from the pros (adults, registration required)
Financial literacy is a common topic with PPL events, especially with partners like Bank of America. On Tuesday, June 29 at 1 p.m., get financial guidance to help with the impact of COVID-19 and other unexpected circumstances in the Smart Financial Choices in Challenging Times class. These resources will help you navigate immediate needs and longer-term plans.
If you do not already have a Plano Public Library card, be sure to register online here. All Plano Public Library locations are open to use computers and browse the collection. Porch side pickup for holds is still available, and you can always access eLibrary content online.