Medical City Plano earned Level IV designations for its neonatal and maternal programs from the Texas Department of State Health Services after a meticulous, multi-year review process.
“This designation underscores our commitment to high quality, safe care for mothers and babies,” said Ben Coogan, CEO at Medical City Plano. “Our board-certified physicians, expert clinicians and compassionate care teams are among the many reasons that Medical City Plano is the destination of choice for patients and voted Best Hospital to Have a Baby in Collin County for five years in a row.”
The Level IV designation determines that each hospital fits several criteria, according to Medical City:
Neonatal Designation Level IV (Advanced Neonatal Intensive Care)
- Comprehensive care for infants of all gestational ages with the most complex and critical medical and surgical conditions or requiring sustained life support
- Access to a comprehensive range of pediatric medical subspecialists and pediatric surgical sub-specialists who are available for in-person consultation and care
- Capability to perform major pediatric surgery including the surgical repair of complex conditions on-site
- Neonatologist 24/7 on-site coverage, with documented competence in the management of the most complex and critically ill neonates/infants
Maternal Designation Level IV (Comprehensive Care)
- Comprehensive care for pregnant and postpartum patients with low-risk conditions to the most complex medical, surgical or obstetrical conditions and their fetuses, that present a high risk of maternal morbidity or mortality
- Access to on-site consultation with a comprehensive range of medical and maternal sub-specialists, surgical specialists and behavioral health specialists
- Capability to perform major surgery on-site
- Access to a maternal-fetal medicine critical care team with expertise and privileges to manage or co-manage highly complex, critically ill or unstable maternal patients
Medical City Plano delivers more than 2,500 babies annually, according to a press release.