From preschool to professional, Plano Public Library (PPL) has something for everyone. Not interested in
reading? No biggie – PPL is #morethanbooks! Check out some of their upcoming events – in-person and
virtual – for all your educating and entertaining needs:
1. Buy a Bag of Books Sale
The lobby book sale at Parr Library is expanding from December 11-19 with thousands of used books available for all ages! Bags are sold at $10 each (cash only, exact change, no checks or credit cards) and the sale will be open daily when the library is open. Once you purchase a bag (or a few), you can fill it up with any items from the extended lobby sale, which includes books and may include DVDs, music and audiobooks. All proceeds go to Friends of the Plano Public Library to benefit our five Plano libraries.
2. Go lights out at the library
(Ages 3-5 with parent/caregiver)
The library’s Glow in the Dark storytime brings stories, songs and dancing along with illuminated art under black lights. Be sure to wear something white or fluorescent so you glow! Glow in the Dark Storytime meets twice this month:
• Monday, December 13 at 11 a..m at Parr Library
• Wednesday, December 22 at 10:30 a..m at Haggard Library
3. Bake and share holiday cookie recipes
(Adults, registration required)
For the December Cook the Book session, it’s all about cookies. Meeting virtually via Zoom on Tuesday, December 14 at 1 p.m., foodies will share their favorite holiday cookie recipes. Need inspiration or want to find a new recipe? Check out the recommended cookbook list on the Plano Library Learns blog. Register here for Cook the Book.
Les Murray, a NASA Solar System Ambassador, is back at the library for Explore the Night Sky! Les will be giving a presentation on what is up in the sky at this time and how to observe it. You will have an opportunity to take a look at the sky through a powerful telescope and see Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune. Be sure to bring your questions about space, the sky and NASA missions. Explore the Night Sky meets on Monday, December 20 at 6 p.m. at Parr Library. Tickets will be available in-person beginning at 5:30 p.m.
Whether you are a preschooler or a teenager, the library has a way for you to celebrate the new year:
- Thursday, December 30 at 3 p.m. at Schimelpfenig Library: New Year’s Coding Countdown (all ages) – Countdown to the new year with coding related activities
- Friday, December 31 at 11 a.m. at Haggard, Parr and Schimelpfenig Libraries: Noon Year’s Eve (all ages) – Celebrate the New Year early with hands-on activities and a countdown to 12:00 noon
- Friday, December 31 at 2 p.m. at Haggard Library: Break Out of 2021! – Can you escape 2021? Find out as you and your friends search for clues and solve puzzles to Break Out of 2021!
If you do not already have a Plano Public Library card, be sure to register online here. All Plano Public Library locations are open to use computers, browse the collection, and attend in-person programs. Porch side pickup for holds is available, and you can always access eLibrary content online.