From preschool to professional, Plano Public Library (PPL) has something for everyone. Not interested in reading? No biggie – PPL is #morethanbooks! Check out some of their upcoming events – in-person and virtual – for all your educating and entertaining needs:
1. Build in 3D with the library
(all ages, ticketed)
Did you know your local library has 3D printers, and teaches you how to use them and design in three-dimensions? This fall, Plano Public Library has two Intro to 3D Printing classes, where you will learn about the additive manufacturing process and see a 3D printer in action. This class is ticketed, so show up 30 minutes before the class begins to secure your spot. Intro to 3D Printing meets at Parr Library on Sunday, October 16 at 2 p.m. and at Davis Library on October 22 at 3 p.m.
2. Get your money questions answered by a pro
As you gain independence, financial questions are sure to arise. Budgeting, purchases, interest rates, savings and even retirement planning are topics to consider. Bring your questions and hear answers from a panel of financial professionals from Bank of America at Davis Library on Tuesday, October 11 at 2 p.m.
3. Dress up and see Big Pumpkin
(all ages, ticketed)
Every October, Plano Public Library puts on a few showings of “Big Pumpkin” – and this year there are even more than usual. Each showing of “Big Pumpkin” is ticketed, and tickets are available in-person beginning 30 minutes before each show. Costumes encouraged!
– Parr Library on Tuesday 10/11 at 11 a.m.
– Haggard Library on Wednesday 10/12 at 10:30 a.m.
– Haggard Library on Thursday 10/13 at 11 a.m.
– Parr Library on Friday 10/14 at 11 a.m.
– Davis Library on Tuesday 10/25 at 6:30 p.m.
– Schimelpfenig Library on Wednesday 10/26 at 10:30 a.m.
– Davis Library on Thursday 10/27 at 11 a.m.
– Davis Library on Friday 10/28 at 10:30 a.m.
– Davis Library on Saturday 10/29 at 10:15 a.m.
– Schimelpfenig Library on Saturday 10/29 at 10:30 a.m.
– Schimelpfenig Library on Monday 10/31 at 10:30 a.m.
– Schimelpfenig Library on Monday 10/31 at 11 a.m.
4. Explore healthcare careers
(grades 9-12, registration required)
Caring for patients takes the energy and expertise of a team of healthcare professionals. Respiratory therapists, surgical technologists and patient care technicians represent some of the careers typically found in a hospital setting. Training required for these roles often does not require a four-year degree. Explore a variety of opportunities in healthcare with Texas Health Plano, Children’s Health and Collin College and plan your first steps toward a fulfilling career in healthcare at Exploring Careers in Healthcare, which meets virtually on Wednesday, October 19 at 6:30 p.m. Register here.
5. Celebrate Family History Month
October is a big month for the Genealogy Center at Haggard Library:
- Visit the Spark Space on the first floor to participate in an interactive exhibit to showcase your ancestry and learn about interviewing family (all ages)
- The Plano Conservancy for Historic Preservation is hosting an Archaeology Fair on Saturday, October 8 from 1-4 p.m. at Haggard Library. Dig in the dirt to find fossils and see the Native American Drummers and Dancers (all ages)
- Preserve Collin County history by sharing your photos and documents at two “History Harvest” events. Staff from the Genealogy Center will digitize up to six items–you get digital copies, and these digital items are also added to the Collin County Digital Images. Email email@example.com to register for one of these dates: Tuesday, October 11 from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. and Tuesday, October 25 from 4-8 p.m.
- Join other libraries across Texas and Oklahoma to see eight webinars throughout the day on genealogy research for the Genealogy Lock-In on Friday, October 21 from 9 a.m.-9 p.m. (adults)
If you do not already have a Plano Public Library card, be sure to register online here. All Plano Public Library locations are open to use computers, browse the collection, and attend in-person programs. Porch side pickup for holds is available, and you can always access eLibrary content online.